Friday, February 9, 2007

A Linux Newbie Blog

Hello, World?
Lately, I've been doing a lot of Linux administration for business and I've decided to keep a blog for my notes and processes. I don't expect casual viewers to come and visit, but I figured it'll be better to put my notes out there instead of things pasted in my drafts folder in my email where no one will benefit except me. So, here are my notes, typed into something understandable to other people... hello, world?

Evangelist?
I'm not trying to convert anyone to Linux by the way. I believe Linux as a server should really be only for developers (and really, why should it be another other way), and Linux as a desktop (to replace Windows or MacOS X) should really be only for the completely PC illiterate or the very advanced PC user.

Not Starting From Scratch
Most of my learning was and is still done by bugging a bunch of people. You'll have to forgive me about the first few posts - I'll be doing those from memory. However, what I experience onwards will be posted as I experience them.

A Little History
About four months ago I was a complete Linux newbie. I could barely install the darn operating system. In the following blog entries you'll see how I've installed Fedora Core 6 and Ubuntu (this might change, however), and why I chose those as my operating systems.

I have a dinner now, so I gotta go!

No comments: